Our House Captains were elected by the children in September. We have 6 House Captains, 2 for each house. We meet fortnightly and discuss ideas put forward by the children.
Our House Captains at Choppington Primary represent the pupil voice of the school community. They are an essential pillar in the democracy of the school and are given the capacity to implement real changes and officiate whole school events.
Each year, pupils make presentations in the first term and make promises to their House Team about what they would do to improve the quality of life in the school community. This is a great opportunity to discuss the importance of democracy as part of our British values. The pupils then deliver speeches to their House Teams and then there is an anonymous vote.
The elected Council in then made up of two representatives from each House Team. The meetings are then led by a Chair and Vice Chair who are chosen by the elected council members.
The Council then meets fortnightly throughout the school year with the Headteacher. These sessions are pupil-led by the Chair and Vice-Chair, and official minutes are kept by the Headteacher. The Council discusses recent issues as put forward by their constituents.
The School Council Vision Statement is as follows:
- Our school council works together as a team to ensure we can be the best school possible.
- We aim to make pupils to feel comfortable, happy and safe at school.
- We shall work hard to make our world a better place
- We want to improve our school by discussing ideas and making decisions.
- We aim to listen to others and discuss comments and suggestions that would make our school an even more wonderful place.